Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Successful climb

We are back in Namche after a successful climb of Island Peak (20,305 feet).....and believe me, those 305 feet were scary so I'm not leaving them off!  It was windy but we had good weather overall.  Another 30 minutes I don't think we would have been able to get up the ridge to the summit, I think the others that were coming up after us ended up having to turn around.  It was a little harsher than I expected and yep, some of the fixed lines and the ridge had me wimpering like a baby but I did it.  Eventually I may have some pictures to post too.

Spent the day of the climb at base camp before heading down to Pangboche yesterday.  Our cook staff even made us a summit cake...it was super nice and incredible what they can do with two burners in a tent....best food we had eaten yet.  We went through Tengboche today on our way to Namche for the night.  In Tengboche we ended up timing it just right so that we got to go into the monastary and listen to the monks...it was awesome.  I did all of the climb with the exception of the last 1500 feet in my trail runners which are shot and falling apart so when we rolled into Namche and saw that the Tibetan traders were here selling their knock offs I thought for sure that I could find some new shoes but, I'm a big girl so no shoes for me!  (Denise, didn't we hear that a time or two in Hong Kong?:)) 

Tonight we are splurging and spending $5 for a room (cheap rooms, not so cheap food at any of the lodges) and another $4 for a shower...wahoo!   This place is really nice but doesn't quite have the family feel to it as a lot of the lodges do.  And then, who do I run into at the market, the girl from the lodge that we stayed at last time....busted....she wasn't happy that we weren't staying with them again but at least the one we are staying at is owned by the older woman's relatives...of course. 

My fingers are too cold to type anymore, just wanted to let the family know I made it up and down off the mountain safely....well, I did have one incident of falling flat on my face and knees one day while looking at Ama Dablam while trying to walk....just another scar with a story:)  I am glad to be lower where it is warmer!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Colleen! I'm really proud of you and cannot wait to see some pictures.

    Lex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Colleen, ran into Jeanine and she suggested I see what you all have been up to. Wow! Good going. I can't beat this one. Thanks for the inspiration to go play outside!

    Armando

    ReplyDelete